Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Brothers Trailer aka Natalie Portman is working again

HOLY CROW!

That was my reaction the first time I saw the trailer for Jake Gyllenhaal, Tobey Maguire and Natalie Portman's new movie Brothers.

At first, I thought this film was going to be about a war widow, grieving the loss of her husband and trying to figure out how to pick up the pieces and raise their two daughters and her brother-in-law's help with this. I figured it was going to be one of those sappy, "I fell in love with the best friend/brother because my real husband died" kind of films-while in the back of my mind asking how Tobey Maguire is getting top billing as the dead hubby.

Then, Natalie gets a phone call informing her that her beloved husband is in fact still alive. So now the film is feeling a little While You Were Sleeping with a dash of Pearl Harbor and you get the feeling this film is going to be about Natalie deciding between these two men in her life.

Then Tobey Maguire goes postal. And you get the feeling this is going to be one of those thriller, "what is going to happen now?" kind of movies. And I am really excited about it.

The lead actors always have been strong, even if they have had their share of unfortunate mis-steps, and I am hoping this movie doesn't disappoint. But if the movie is as confused to its genre as the trailer is, it is doomed to fail to lie up to expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment