Friday, July 3, 2009

In the Year 2079

Movies from the Golden Age of Hollywood are what the art of making movies are all about. And this year we celebrate the 70th anniversary of the greatest year in movies. Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Mr. Smith Goes to Washinton, and so many others.

People still watch these movies like they are brand new, like they have never been seen before, because they are timeless and don't look 70 years old. But it begs a very simple question:

"What will they be watching 70 years from now?"

While I am sure no one in 1939 could concieve that they would still be watching their movies 70 years later (mostly because they hadn't even begun to concieve the VCR and DVD player), it makes me wonder in the year 2079, what movies will people be watching for the first time? What movies that we've made will stand the test of time?

I have no doubt that in 70 years people will still be watching The Lord of the Rings trilogy, which in my opinion is the finest work of cinema this generation. In addition, they will probably still enjoy the original Star Wars trilogy, but Lord-willing, the other will have fallen into oblivion. I also hope that the future generations will enjoy the splendor that is Titanic. They will also still enjoy the majority of Disney Animated movies, but hopefully the dreadful sequels will have fallen into the same oblivion as the new Star Wars trilogy.

That's all I can think of (or hope for) and only time will tell if I am right.

My next post will undoubtedly be about Judy Garland-I am spending my weekend watching Judy Garland movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment